Description:You have just be given the prime position of writer/editor at Maycomb News in Maycomb County Alabama. You will be to writing a newspaper article about people or events in "To Kill A Mockingbird." You will need to have a headline, a lead, and know the who, what, where, when, why and how of the event.
- There are different types and elements of any news article. Types include tabloid, obituary, straight news and many others. Visit Media Awareness Network (http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/resources/special_initiatives/toolkit_resources/tipsheets/writing_news_story.cfm) for additional info on news writing.
- Think about the following questions that you will address in your article concerning that event: Who was involved?
What happened? To whom did it happen?
Where did it happen?
When did it happen?
Why did it happen?
How did it happen?
- Using the answers to the questions create a lead and headline for the event.
- Write a newspaper article on an event occurring in the book. Include a picture or visual with the article.
- Students will be selected to read their articles aloud to the class. Everyone should be prepared to read his or her article.
You will be given a detailed rubric in class with the following grading criteria:
- Accuracy of Facts (Content)
- Focus on Assigned Topic (Organization)
- Creativity (Original / Unique)
- Grammar/Mechanics (MUGS)
Armenta, Kelly. An Educator's Reference Desk Lesson Plan. 1994. University of Texas at El Paso. 30, Jan. 2011.